Eyelashes not only enhance the beauty of your eyes but also plays a vital role in protecting your eyes. The main function of eyelashes is to protect the eyes from the small particles that might enter it.
Eyelashes are defined as thick, short and curved hair, organized in a double or triple row connected to the edges of the eyelids, commonly known as eyelashes. Eyelashes have mainly a protective function to the human eye. However, in women, these little wonders function double as a way to increase one’s attractiveness and femininity. The eyelashes that are present on the upper eyelid are longer; they can reach up to 8mm in length. The eyelashes connected to the upper eyelid are more in number than those connected to the lower lash line. Another remarkable difference is that the eyelashes on the upper eyelid curved upward while eyelash present on the lower eyelid curves the opposite way. It prevents from interweaving when you close your eyes.
Functions of eyelashes
Our eyelashes perform various functions, most of them are protective. Some functions of eyelashes are as follows:
- Eyelashes serve to protect our eyes from foreign particles such as dust, dirt and debris and prevent them from entering our eyes. Eyelashes can be also called as a gatekeeper of our eyes as they block the entry of foreign particles into the eyes.
- The curved shape of the eyelashes helps to slip sweat and foreign matters out of the eyes.
- Eyelashes also help filter out the sunlight that shine into your eyes. However, eyelashes cannot take the place of sunglasses.
- Eyelashes perform similar functions as whiskers do on a mouse, dog or a cat. Like whiskers, eyelashes in human are also sensitive on being touched. The function of eyelashes is to produce a danger warning that an object is near the eye.
Advantages of having longer lashes:
Long eyelashes not only look nice, but long eyelashes are also good for your health. If you desire for longer eyelashes, then you should be aware of their advantages.
Long lashes enhance the look of your eyes: Eyes have also played a major role in defining the beauty of a woman. Long and thick eyelashes are always there on the wishlists of many people. Longer eyelashes are considered attractive on women. You can get a lot of makeup products to achieve long eyelash looks such as mascara, eyeliner to highlight the mascara and an eyelash curler.
Health benefits of having longer eyelashes: Eyelashes prevents irritation. Long Eyelashes keep the debris out of the eyes.
Longer lashes take less time to groom: If you have longer eyelashes then you don’t need to spend much time grooming your lashes and applying makeup products. If you have long eyelashes, then you don’t need to spend time on steps such as heating, using an eye curler before using mascara.
Long lashes add drama to your eyes: Another advantage of long eyelashes is that they look naturally dramatic. Longer lashes give you an intense look in a few minutes, on the other hand, shorter eyelashes need more time to achieve a similar look.
Eyes are the most important and sensitive part of our body and hair on the eyelid plays a major role in protecting our eyes. An eyelash is an essential beauty asset for women. It does not only enhance your beauty but also protects your eyes. Hence, it’s your duty to take care of your lashes like your other body parts. Most people ignore their eyelashes, but it is necessary to take care of your lashes as these are one of the important parts of your eyes. When you notice your eyelashes everywhere on your nose, face, clothes, then it is the right time to look towards your lashes. Your eyelashes may fall due to following health problems:
- Blepharitis: An irritation of the eyelid area. When the eyelid is itchy, red, then the lashes may fall out.
- Parasitic infection: The lashes can become infected with a parasite.
- Demodex: It is a small mite that lives in eyelashes and other hair follicles. It also causes falling of eyelashes in some people.
- Style: It is defined as a purulent inflammation of infected eyelash follicles. So, it is necessary to take care of your eyelashes as these play a major role in protecting your eyes.
We may take our eyelashes for granted, but eyelashes are very important for the proper function of the eye. So, the next time you see the mirror, give a thought to these little wonders.